Monday, July 8, 2013

Double bonus


I'm here! In the land of Gandhi and Salman Rushdie and Jhumpa Lahiri and Slumdog Millionaire! And I have WiFi, AND I haven't gotten sick yet! I'm considering this a double bonus.

In the heat of the night we stepped out of the Delhi airport after 13 hours in the sky (which went surprisingly fast; I slept a lot, albeit badly) and onto the bus that would take us to the International Guest House at the University of Delhi. Did I mention the humidity? It's like perpetually stepping out of a hot shower.

I woke up this morning, in my spartan-yet-peaceful hotel surroundings, at 2:30. (I'm well-known for my atrocious jet lag, which has been known to last for as long as two weeks.) Instead of falling back to sleep, I thought of pancakes and French toast for the next five hours, until breakfast opened. No pancakes (or coffee!) to be had, but chappatis with jam, toast, chai, and cornflakes with hot milk (?!?) filled in nicely.



We're off on our first adventure in about half an hour--a walk to SRCC, India's foremost college of economics. Assume, if I don't post again, that I didn't survive the humidity. Farewell.

Oh, and some wise guy decided to message me and ask if I was "Steve" and could fix his cell phone. Cute, guys, but I'm not desolate enough to start work at a call center.

No comments:

Post a Comment