Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Easier Said Than Done

Rainy, chilly day. I'm trying desperately to stave off a nap, because I've been having a lot of trouble getting to sleep lately (despite exercise and sleeping pills and cutting back on caffeine and waking up early), and I'm thinking if I can hold out until early evening, that might set my sleep schedule straight. However, that's easier said than done when I'm snuggled under a comforter on my bed to ward off the cold.

So, while my eyelids twitch, a few thoughts on today and the past few days:
-On my recent outings through the vineyards, I've noticed a strange, sourish, acidic smell peppering the air. For a few days I thought, vinegar, they're making vinegar, I guess. Then one day my thoughts started wandering, and I wondered, what kind of vinegar? Balsamic, raspberry, wine vinegar...then it hit me: WINE! They're making wine! Imagine that, while surrounded by vineyards! And the award for overthinking the simplest solution goes to...

So, in case you're wondering what it smells like when wine is made, it smells a lot like vinegar. Sharp, but not unpleasantly so.

-The Onion recently posted this hilarious article on those who enjoy autumn a little too much. My favorite part: "'Nothing beats autumn in New England,' said His Excellency, the Duke of Fall..." The Germans don't seem to embrace fall as heartily as the Americans, and I do miss it, but I don't really miss the Mr. Autumn Men (and Women) that I know.

-Speaking of the Onion, here's an oldie, but a goodie.

-I somehow managed to get through middle school, high school, college, and a master's degree without ever having to read any John Steinbeck. So of course, I now have to read Of Mice and Men to keep up with my upper level students here. It's barely 80 pages--more of a novella than anything--and I began it grumbling, but oh lord, the feelings, and now I'm hooked and have twenty pages left. I'll probably be depressed for a week when I finish.

-Finally, this gem of a video makes me want to do extreme things. Preferably smoke a crack pipe while watching it, and then warn those kids that that man is not what he seems. Or perhaps exactly what he seems.


As I was writing this, the sun came out. Have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment