Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Zip codes

Current location? Lake Sebago, Maine. I live my life by zip codes.





(The zip code here is 04055, in case you were wondering.)

I'm working for eight weeks as a glorified receptionist at an all-girls' summer camp right on the lake. It's...interesting, to say the least. It drives me crazy that most of my time, on and off, is spent on the same ten or fifteen acres of land, that I have sand in my bed and all over my cabin, that the parents who call have the most insane demands.

Occasionally, though, it doesn't drive me crazy...like when I take my nightly walk and see this. Or when I'm kayaking on or swimming in the lake in the midmorning hours. Or when I drive into Portland and discover its kitschy cuteness. Or when I'm driving through the countryside, past all the self-pick blueberry fields and pine trees, with my new British friend Kelsi. She insists on driving with the windows down, because "the weather's so much nicer here than in England." At first I'm annoyed--it's harder to hear her and my music--but then I'm glad she did it.

Because with my curly hair blowing in my face and around the car, and Kelsi introducing me to new music and songs I always liked, but never knew the names of, and the sun lingering forever because it's the heart of summer, it feels just like Americana should. Especially when I say, "AMUR'CA!" and she laughs.

I don't know if moments like these make living here "worth it"--I work six days a week for one day off, and I live for my days off--but they certainly do make good moments. I'm finally learning in person what my parents spent years telling me--do the work you love, and love the work you do, because that's what you'll be doing for the rest of your life. I love my days off, but I can't live for them alone.

I've just got to keep moving.

Off to take a shower, then, since today is one of said cherished days off, an adventure awaits...or maybe just laundry. (I have to drive half an hour away, to the nearest laundromat, since the dryers here really don't do anything except waste your money for musty, wet clothes.)

P.S. I had a dream last night that everyone forgot my birthday, which is exactly a month away today. Please tell me this won't be the case?

No comments:

Post a Comment